Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Against the Tide: The Valor of Margaret Wilson

by Hope Irvin Marston
Available from Amazon
****
When I saw the title of this book, I knew I needed it. I recognized the heroine as one of the two Margarets martyred together on the Solway Firth. I enjoyed the book very much. The author brought the period to life, and showed the fear and courage of the “killing times”, when one’s life was not much safer at home than abroad.

The book begins when Margaret was very young, and tells of the few years of maturing she had before her betrayal and martyrdom. Knowing the tragic but glorious end makes each part of Margaret’s life more poignant.

There is a little romance between Margaret and a close neighbor, with three mentions of “innocent kisses.” Fergus eventually asks Margaret to marry him and flee to Ireland, but Margaret believed she should stay single, though she loved him very much. I don’t know whether this is actual history, but it fits nicely in the book.

One thing that did trouble me was the portrayal of Margaret’s disobedience to her father, and her arguing with him in front of the family. I do understand that her conscience dictated that she not go to the church meeting with her family, but rather meet secretly with true believers. Also Margaret’s father is shown as not being able to choose between his cattle and his Saviour, when he was trying to protect his family. Even though they were not being fed at the state church, he went to protect his family, and he did teach them the Scriptures at home. I’m not saying his decision was the best one or not; it’s hard to tell what someone should or should not do when you’ve never been in their shoes. Also, Margaret’s determination to separate from her father’s authority caused her two younger siblings to follow her example, which was a good example except in the way she treated her father. And I do realize that this is historically accurate. I just wish Margaret might have been portrayed showing her father more respect.

Altogether, I would recommend this book, and will keep it on my shelf and read it again. I really appreciate the author’s work, and am happy that a book has been written for young girls about Margaret Wilson.

No comments: